American Racer / McCreary History
The McCreary Tire & Rubber Company was founded in 1915 in Indiana, Pennsylvania to provide tires to an exploding automotive aftermarket. McCreary built a reputation for quality workmanship and continued to grow as a premium brand in the passenger, light truck, and medium truck tire markets. In the 1960’s, McCreary entered the race tire market.
Throughout the 1970’s and 1980’s, McCreary race tires continued to grow its market share. It maintained a reputation of providing performance excellence on the race track, while economic conditions in the replacement tire market generally forced niche manufacturers to restructure their business models. In 1992 McCreary changed its name to Specialty Tires of America. The new name better reflected the change from a manufacturer of commodity replacement tires to a company with a broader, more “specialized” product offering. This specialization allowed the company to increase its focus on product quality and performance excellence. In 1994, as part of the revitalization of the company, the American Racer® brand was introduced.
Today, after over 50 years of racing tire design and manufacturing, the American Racer® brand is raced around the globe on virtually every type of racing vehicle.